An Interview with Mr. Royster

Rebecca Farias

Mr. Royster, Toll Gate High school’s chorus teacher, talks on what this year’s Toll Gate High school’s chorus department looks like. What challenges has it faced so far? What are some obstacles he has had to overcome? What did its Christmas assembly look like? What do the kids contribute to the program every year?

In the month of November, a very important decision to the chorus department was finalized. Mr. Royster, our chorus teacher of 20 years, decided for the first time of his whole teaching career, to cancel the winter/Christmas chorus concert of the year 2022. 

“… the chorus students weren’t ready to perform. They would have embarrassed themselves. They have been trying to learn chorus and singing over the internet for three years. They are not ready, they’re not prepared, mentally or physically. So I think it was in everyone’s best interest to not do that because once you’ve embarrassed yourself you quit and you get discouraged…” 

Mr. Royster believes that the chorus department this school year has been different than any of the choruses in the past, and not in a good way. These students have been held back and had to learn through distance learning, setting them aside. 

“…the kids are very immature, coming in, COVID really, put a damper on everyone’s lifestyle and it’s a big change. So it appears to me, after I’ve been here about 20 years, this has probably been the most difficult group because of lack of structure, lack of discipline. But, you know, at this point we’re working hard and had some road bumps but we’re working through it. I’ve got some great students that are good role models.” 

With issues in attitude as well as musically, it just was not in the cards to have a winter/Christmas concert with the chorus this year. 

“The students coming in unprepared, a lot of issues outside of school. Musically, the year’s a couple, 2 or 3 years behind.” 

Instead, Mr. Royster decided to hold an assembly, just for the chorale and show choir groups.  He invited the school to see a glimpse of what some of his students were capable of doing and what the chorus students should and will eventually be able to do. 

“…I had a good group of kids that were highly motivated and they were ready and they were good role models for the other students, hopefully to inspire…my show choir kids have gone above and beyond, they are highly motivated but even they had some struggles. Still, we’re on a path, we’re a team, we’re a family, and I’m proud of that, and I think they are too…we’re in a good place moving forward.” 

When asked if he felt he could have done anything differently this year, Mr. Royster stated: 

“I don’t think I could’ve done much. I probably would’ve made the decision to not have a chorus concert a little earlier.” 

With the concert scheduled for December, post-Thanksgiving break is in fact, cutting it a little close. It’s safe to say that Toll Gate’s chorus assembly was an absolute success, and it truly did do exactly what Mr. Royster hoped it would, inspire. The students selected to perform did not put in little effort, on the contrary, they were required to put in maximum effort.  Everything they had was put into making the assembly as good as it could get. This reporter asked Mr. Royster a little about what the rehearsal process is like. 

“The process? Well, you have to practice. Not only by yourself but you have to practice as a team. You have to practice individually most of the time, and it’s a requirement that you get most of the practicing done outside of class. But that’s not exactly playing a team sport, in the end you have to put everything together…” 

Overall, the decision to opt out of a concert this year, was rightfully made by Mr. Royster. All of the students who participated or the ones who were in the audience witnessing the performances enjoyed it and were very inspired. Mr. Royster was very proud of the select groups who exceptionally represented his department. 

“I’m proud. I’m very happy. It was a great success, and I can’t wait to do the next one.”